Grifting my way through the interweb wilderness with a bindle and a lightning bolt

Monday, March 3, 2008

Best of FAWM 2008?


I know I said Evin Wolverton destroyed FAWM for everyone, but that was a bit of hyperbole. There were other songwriters that filled my February with new, delightful music. And while I don't pretend to have listened to all 3,000 demos from this year's February Album Writing Month nor selected the very best, of the ones I listened to, I do have some favorites. Here they are:

Matt DiVito - "Micropolis" Here DiVito busts out a short little They-Might-Be-Giants-like groove. It's fun and about a computer game.

Josh Woodward - "History Repeats" The harmony on "I'm finding a new road home" is gorgeous. Also check out "Go." He rhymes "arms" with "charms," and I don't even mind--that's how good it is. Oh and you might as well get "On Brevity" as well. He has too many good tunes to choose just one! Yikes.

Isaac Quatorze - "defiantly" This bizarre Valentine's Day love song is a kick. Weird is good.

Joe Kennedy - "Run Don't Walk" Quality pop music. Reminds me of Travis.

Old Lost John - "Regina's Bar" There is a ghost in it! Get haunted. Highly recommended.

Timothy Bracken - "You Saw Me In the Light" Bracken is a gifted songwriter. His voice uniquely delivers his verse, and he backs it up with beautiful programming and production. [MP3] Via his Myspace page. Also highly recommended.

Oddbod - "A Letter From Nigeria" Though this song would have been so much more appropriate five or six years ago, it still hits its mark and makes me smile. In unrelated news, 60% of Nigerians suffer under debilitating poverty. Also, Don't miss Oddbod's "You Improve."

Don DiLego - "Left Turn" If you have been listening to the superconscience in February, you'd have picked up on the "We are One" theme. Love your other, love yourself. It is a lot more actionable than "Save the cheerleader, save the world."

Lars Eriksson - "The Death of Marriage" See title.

Steve Apple Head - "Sunday's Work has Just Been Done (Delmar beneath The Water)" You can watch Steve write this song on the youtubes.

Evin Wolvertin - "Take a Little Home" A folk song for poor lovers, and there is none better.

Oh my legion of readers, hit me up with your favorite songs from this year's FAWM.

No comments: