Grifting my way through the interweb wilderness with a bindle and a lightning bolt

Monday, March 17, 2008

MP3.com Resurrection III -- The Beginning of Lotus (TBOL)


About two months ago I started a mini-post-series highlighting good music from the old MP3.com site, which hosted songs from thousands of independent artists. The site has long since gone under, but some of the music survives on aging hard drives, like my ten year old 40GB hard drive, which I have finally salvaged out of a dusty and broken AMD AnthlonXP 2400+ build that sits in my closet.

Finding The Beginning of Lotus for the first time for me was more than finding a few good songs; It was an experience. I was experiencing sounds and arrangements I had never heard before. I had never heard anything this rhythmically inventive. TBOL labeled it "Drum and Bass" or "IDM" (Intelligent Dance Music) but nothing I heard from these genres in the late 1990s interested me as TBOL did.

My favorite from song from TBOL was easily "autogun." Winamp milkdrop visualizations were made for songs like this, but I think I still prefer playing this one with my eyes closed, following every tick, whir, and snare.
[mp3] TBOL - "autogun"

TBOL is still around. At his myspace profile you can listen to some of his more current work.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I followed TBOL years ago and came across some more than was on mp3.com through P2P sharing with some good friends. The sound of light series came from a full length sound of light track, which is one of my favorites.

Unknown said...

I am listening to TBOL all over again now. Haven@t heard it for years. Totally dug it back then.