Grifting my way through the interweb wilderness with a bindle and a lightning bolt

Monday, January 21, 2008

MP3.com Resurrection


Back in the late 90's mp3.com was an ocean of frothing goodness; it was a site where thousands upon thousands of independent bands posted DRM-free mp3s for anyone to download and enjoy. Sure, Napster was around for those who wanted songs they knew or have heard of, but for those who loved a more legitimate thrill of discovery, mp3.com was a waking dream. I spent countless hours following the link web, sampling music, and occasionally gett'n my dopamine fix from something completely new and mind-shaking. Some of the bands I heard there for the first time have now "made it" like Rilo Kiley, and others have have faded into the oblivion of long untouched bits of 10 and 20 gigabyte hard drives. This will be the first post of a few where I'll try (as best and if I can) to resurrect a few of these songs for you.

The first comes from Oldominion. This Seattle rap crew had a dozen or so excellent songs on the old mp3.com. Many members from Oldominion are still making good music (Grayskul, for example), but nothing will affect me like the first time I heard Azrael's "Beloved," the most original, sense-busting, bible-thumping, horror-core rap song I have ever heard.

This in 1998 was unlike anything I had ever heard. Today there is still not much that compares.

Mp3: "Oldominion - Beloved"
Zombies, Christ, Dungeons and Dragons! This song has it all.

No comments: