Grifting my way through the interweb wilderness with a bindle and a lightning bolt

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New Devotchka album drops March 18


And thanks to Stereogum.com's gumdrop email list, you can download the sneak preview track "Transliterator" from Devotchka's upcoming album "A Mad and Faithful Telling"--I dig the dialectic title. My parents love these guys and so does my East Coast art school sculptor cousin, who was flummoxed by my parents' recognition of the Devotchka posters on his wall. As talented and fusion-forward as these guys are, it is no wonder they appeal to such a wide swath of humanity. Nick Urata makes playing the theremin look like eating a piece of cake at a picnic while taking candy from imbecile baby turtles, when it truth it is more like licking your own elbow--it seems attainable but unless you are some double-jointed monster, it is in actuality impossible. He sings in at least three languages (Spanish, French, and English), and the rest of the band, like Nick, are all multi-instrumentalists, which I must admit was more impressive before I saw Jon Brion perform live at the largo. But still, it is always a thrill when drummers bust out trumpets and violinists switch to accordions. To hear the new song follow the stereogum link; you'll find one of my favorite songs below from these troubadours of Eastern Eurpoean, Spanish, Colorado country, rock fusion. The accordion on this track is off the harpoon!

Mp3:REMOVED

No comments: